14 September 2007

Miniature Shows

There was never a point last year, as I entered A Grand Affair In Miniatures show in Grand Rapids, Michigan that I thought I would have a chance to have my own table there. I looked around in awe at all of the dealers who were selling their wares. Amazing miniatures surrounded me at every turn. I had never been to a miniature show before and this was right up my alley.

In my real life I have always dreamed of owning a store. I had an eBay store and was a Power Seller for a while. I grew tired of the constant fee hikes and I gave up for a while, vowing to never use eBay again. I didn't...until I met a dollhouse at a thrift store. We fell in love and my friend and I worked to restore this heavy antique and then sell it on eBay.

That first dollhouse was a real test of ambition. I had to learn whether I wanted to use hard wiring or tape wire, learn how to keep my cool when I soldered the wrong wires together, and learn to accept that not every piece of wallpaper wants to be hung straight. I'd been scammed on off-scale items, and I'd got some great deals in auction lots. I've come such a long way since December of '05 and I've mastered some skills I never thought I would.

I've always admired people like Betsy Niederer. I used to look at her gallery over and over again wishing I could make something as nice as she makes. I studied her tutorial at CDHM.org and learned from it. I learned the basics in how to make a cake and I was so proud of that cake that I carried it around in my pocket to show everyone I could find. I'd sit it on the table with me at dinner and just stare at it. Betsy's tutorial helped me find my calling.

I always knew I loved miniatures, I just didn't know that I wanted to make miniature food. I don't really like real life food. I'm a fussy eater and I pick at my meals more than eat them (unless, of course, it's something bad like carbs, then I chow it down!). This evening I sat down and did something else I've always dreamed of doing. I made some miniature animals. I always daydream of making mini animals and how perfect they would look if only I could just steady my hand, and my mind, long enough to make them. Today I sat down and said "Look, this isn't that difficult. I've just got to concentrate and I'll have it beat." I made three cats and one of them looks just like my kitty. I showed her but she was not impressed. She just continued to lick her paws.

My first year in selling miniatures has been lovely. One year ago in October I would never have imagined that I'd be making miniature food and that people would be buying it. I'm really proud of myself and I'm proud of the CDHM community for producing the quality of art that it does. Thanks, CDHM. I really appreciate everything you've done for me. You've inspired me, you've taught me, and most of all you've helped me make some great friendships. Food has gone over well and I want to try a variety of other things like animals, housewares, and eventually some furniture. Here's to another great year and I hope I see some of you while I have my very own booth at A Grand Affair In Miniatures in October this year.

No comments: